Dutchman Terpstra suffers heavy crash during training
Former Paris-Roubaix winner Niki Terpstra’s season hung in the balance after he suffered a heavy crash during training on Tuesday, his wife said.
Terpstra was transferred to a hospital by helicopter after the crash.
“Niki fell hard during bike training today. He’s in the hospital and will have to stay here for a few more days,” Ramona Terpstra said on Twitter.
“His life is not in danger but he will need time to recover from this.”
Terpstra, who rides for French team Total Direct Energie, won Paris-Roubaix in 2014.
Helaas zijn de geruchten waar. Niki is vandaag hard ten val gekomen tijdens een fiets training. Hij ligt in het ziekenhuis en zal hier nog wel een paar dagen moeten blijven. Hij is niet in levensgevaar maar zal wel… https://t.co/x5ciVhreUi— Ramona Terpstra (@ramonavdlecq) June 16, 2020
Journalist at JJA Sport Studio
Covering athletics and cycling
Latest from Bridget Mason
- Nairo Quintana hit by car during training ride in Colombia
- New York City Marathon canceled because of coronavirus
- Farah targets one-hour world record in Brussels
- Brasher: London Marathon still looking to hold race on Oct. 4
- Diack tells court he slowed handling of Russian doping cases to save sponsorship