Bilbao to host 2023 Tour de France Grand Depart
Bilbao is set to be named as the starting point for the 2023 Tour de France, local media reported on Thursday.
Bilbao-based El Correo newspaper reported that the city will host the first two stages of cycling’s most prestigious race, including the Grand Depart, in two years’ time. The report said Bilbao started negotiations with Tour organisers Amaury Sport Organisation in 2016 and has reached an agreement that will see the race return to the Spanish Basque country region for the first time since it started in nearby San Sebastian in 1992. The 2021 Tour de France was due to start in Copenhagen, but the Covid-19 pandemic and the rescheduling of soccer’s Euro 2020, in which the Danish capital is a host city, meant the Grand Depart was moved to Brest in North West France. Copenhagen will now host the opening stage in 2022, with the first three days of racing to be held in Denmark.
Latest news on JJA Sport Studio
Journalist at JJA Sport Studio
Covering athletics and cycling
Latest from Bridget Mason
- England v Scotland: Lyndon Dykes shot cleared off the line and John Stones denied by woodwork as rivals draw at Wembley
- Croatia v Czech Republic: Patrik Schick scores again as Group D qualification goes down to the wire
- Eriksen released from hospital after ‘successful’ operation
- Ineos chief Brailsford promises attacking Tour after announcing line-up
- Sweden v Slovakia: Emil Forsberg penalty puts Sweden in strong position in Euro 2020 Group E