Sparta v Ajax: 10 of Ajax get a narrow victory over Sparta
Ajax has narrowly won the first competition match of the new season at Sparta. In Rotterdam, despite an early red card for Nicolás Tagliafico, the team from Amsterdam won 0-1 thanks to Antony.
The Brazilian was the only Eredivisie debutant at Ajax in a team in which there was room for, among others, Noussair Mazraoui, Perr Schuurs, Zakaria Labyad and Ryan Gravenberch. At Sparta, Denzell Gravenberch, Ryan's older brother, started on the bench.
With the team from Rotterdam, former Ajax player Benjamin van Leer was under the bar and the 28-year-old goalkeeper was unfortunately partly responsible for the defeat. Van Leer misjudged, partly due to an unpleasant encounter, a not too well placed bet from Antony.
At that moment, in the 37th minute, Ajax already had ten men. Tagliafico got red when he touched the ball with his hand while Mohamed Rayhi lurked in his back for a chance and could only have gotten to the goal if he had gained possession.
Also with substitutes Denzell Gravenberch, Tom Beugelsdijk and the very young Emanuel Emegha, Sparta was unable to force an equalizer in the remaining hour: 0-1.
- Journalist at JJA Sport Studio: Football / Soccer
- Leader columnist department
Latest from Celia Perrone
- Bayern Munich v Sevilla: Martinez the unlikely Super Cup hero against obdurate opponents
- Manchester City V Bournemouth: Delap and Foden see holders squeeze through
- Lincoln City V Liverpool: Jones & Minamino hit doubles in EFL Cup rout
- Shkendija vTottenham: Son the difference as Spurs scrape through again
- UEFA confirms five substitutions to be allowed in Champions League & Europa League