Krejcikova beats Sakkari in dramatic French Open semi-final
Czech Barbora Krejcikova reached the French Open final as she beat Greek 17th seed Maria Sakkari 7-5 4-6 9-7 in a nail-biting, see-saw contest on Thursday.
The world number 33 struggled with nerves throughout but eventually proved more consistent than Sakkari, who got tight when she served for the match at 5-4 in the third set. Krejcikova will face Russian 31st seed Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, who will also be making her maiden appearance in a major singles final, on Saturday. She will be looking to emulate fellow Czech Hana Mandlikova, who won the title at Roland Garros in 1981.
Latest Roland Garros news
Latest news on JJA Sport Studio
- Journalist at JJA Sport Studio for: NBA, NHL & Tennis
- Database analyst for JJA Sport Studio
- Vice President JJA Sport Studio
Latest from John Matiesen
- Celtics send Kemba Walker, 16th pick to Thunder for Horford
- Brooklyn Nets v Milwaukee Bucks: Bucks bounce back to beat Nets and force Game 7
- Tampa Bay Lightning v New York Islanders: Point scores again, Lightning beat Islanders in Game 3
- Carlisle steps down as Mavs’ coach, one day after GM departs
- ‘Listening to my body’: Nadal to sit out Wimbledon, Olympics