Miami Heat vs Washington Wizards: Wizards beat Heat to split home-and-home series
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Spencer Dinwiddie each scored 16 points and hit two 3-pointers during a crucial late stretch and the Wizards rallied for a 103-100 victory over the Miami Heat on Saturday night.
Bradley Beal had 21 points to help Washington split the home-and-home series with Miami and move a half-game above the Heat in the Southeast Division standings. Miami, beat Washington 112-97 in Florida on Thursday night. The Wizards trailed by as 16 in the third quarter and by 10 with 4:42 to play before Caldwell-Pope and Dinwiddie scored every point during a 15-2 run to give Washington a 99-96 lead with 1:43 left. Kyle Kuzma hit 4 of 6 free throws in the final minute for the Wizards, who also pulled within a half-game of Eastern Conference-leading Brooklyn. Jimmy Butler scored 29 points for the Heat, and Tyler Herro added 20. Miami had won four in a row. Caldwell-Pope started the winning run when he hit a 3 from the top of the arc, absorbed a foul and converted a four-point play to cut it to 96-90. Later, his 3 from the right wing tied it before Dinwiddie sank one from the same spot to give Washington the lead and send a near-capacity crowd to its feet.
Heat: Missed all seven of their 3-point attempts in the second quarter. ... Herro (right wrist) returned after missing Thursday’s home win. ... P.J. Tucker scored 14 points on 5-of-6 shooting. He’s hit 17 of his last 20 field goals (three games) and 31 of his last 44 (seven games).
Wizards: Held a 26-25 lead after one quarter despite committing seven turnovers. ... C Daniel Gafford (right thumb) returned after missing Thursday’s loss in Miami. ... Kuzma had 11 assists.
Heat: At Detroit on Monday night.
Wizards: Host Charlotte on Monday night.
Latest Miami Heat news
Latest Washington Wizards news
Latest news on JJA Sport Studio
- Journalist at JJA Sport Studio for: NBA, NHL & Tennis
- Database analyst for JJA Sport Studio
- Vice President JJA Sport Studio
Latest from John Matiesen
- Binnington in COVID protocol, Blues using emergency backup
- China chafes at exit of women's tennis body in solidarity with Peng
- Sacramento Kings vs Los Angeles Clippers: Sacramento Kings rout shorthanded Clippers
- Vegas Golden Knights vs Anaheim Ducks: Anaheim Ducks hold off Vegas Golden Knights for wild win
- Heat center Bam Adebayo needs thumb surgery, will miss weeks