Recovering Thiem to skip Australian Open
Dominic Thiem has pulled out of next month's Australian Open to work towardsregaining full fitness after a long-standing wrist injury, the former world number three said on Tuesday.
The 28-year-old Austrian, who has not played since suffering the injury at the Mallorca Open in June, was unable to defend his U.S. Open title this year. He had earlier withdrawn from the team-based ATP Cup, which starts on Saturday in Sydney, and other warmup events ahead of the hardcourt major at Melbourne Park. "I am now feeling well again, my wrist is in optimal condition and I am practicing normally with a very good intensity," Thiem said on Twitter.
Latest Australian Open news
Latest news on JJA Sport Studio
- Journalist at JJA Sport Studio for: NBA, NHL & Tennis
- Database analyst for JJA Sport Studio
- Vice President JJA Sport Studio
Latest from John Matiesen
- Minnesota Timberwolves vs Golden State Warriors: Curry, Thompson shoot Warriors past Wolves
- Nashville Predators vs Edmonton Oilers: McDavid gets shootout winner, puts Oilers over Predators
- Calgary Flames vs Columbus Blue Jackets: Flames fire record 62 shots on goal, rout Blue Jackets
- Bulls F Jones could miss 6-8 weeks with broken finger
- Vegas Golden Knights vs Washington Capitals: Lehner makes 34 saves, Golden Knights shut out Capitals